10.02.2006

Your Two Cents Required: The Season Premiere of Girlfriends



The new CW spent the last quarter of the summer promoting its fall programming under a slogan entitled, "Free to Be." But billboard and bus-placard campaign ads seemed to have left out "Girlfreinds," leaving its creator, Mara Brock Akil, a little peeved.

The sitcom premiered last night at 8, but without the same promotional push given other CW programs such as "Everybody Hates Chris," "America's Next Top Model," "Gilmore Girls" and "Veronica Mars."

"'Girlfriends' has never had a billboard, even though more times than not we've been the No. 1 show in black households," Akil told the LA Times' Greg Braxton. She continued: "That's not right. If I meet this challenge, even though our numbers may be small, I will consider them double what they are, because we would have done it without marketing support. I know it's the reality of the business, but I don't like it."

Responding to Akil's comments, a network spokesman said, "When you're launching a new network, there are countless marketing priorities, including an overall branding campaign, which featured every show on the CW. 'Girlfriends' is one of those shows, and we are very proud that it's anchoring our new Sunday night as the most-watched program on television by African Americans since it premiered in 2000."





I watched about the show last night long enough to see Joan's "phone conversation" with Toni before grabbing the remote and watching Beef II on BET. Boo nigga boo. Do you think this will be the final season of the show? Holla back!






<< Home

 



 

CONTACT INFORMATION

Use don't abuse (ie. adding me to your site's mailing list). And for the love of God please stop sending mp3 files of your music. I am not Clive Davis and to be frank I probably don't want to hear the shit anyway. You should also know that I take my slow, precious time responding to email. And sometimes I don't respond at all. Fresh.crunkjuice@gmail.com
Fresh@myspace.com

LEAVE SOME $$$ ON THE NIGHT STAND

GET POSTS IN YOUR INBOX

Add to Google Add to My AOLSubscribe in Bloglines Powered by FeedBurner



Free Image and Video Hosting








RECENT ENTRIES

blog advertising is good for you


SITE ARCHIVES



Your Ad Here


FRESH PICKS